Novak Birch is seeking a Copy Editor to join our strategic marketing and events agency. Professional editing and proofreading experience is required, preferably in a marketing agency or in-house marketing environment. Copywriting or proposal writing experience is a plus. And if you love dogs, well, you’re the perfect fit!
As the agency’s go-to person for proofreading and editing, your primary responsibility will be ensuring that all copy (agency-written and client-written) is clean, concise, and on message. There could also be opportunities for copywriting, depending on your experience and our needs.
Reporting to the Director of Content & Strategy, you’ll work with our creative team (including project and event managers, designers, and more) to create compelling marketing solutions and experiences for our clients, whose industries range from tourism and hospitality to higher education and government. Creative materials include but are not limited to print collateral and publications, websites, environmental displays, signage, email marketing, event and exhibit materials, branded environments, digital/interactive solutions, social media content, video scripts, and more.
- Proofreading copy to ensure that it is free of errors, succinct, easy to read, and on brand. This includes correcting spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors; ensuring that copy aligns with the client’s style guide; and making recommendations to enhance readability and conciseness (e.g., changing passive voice to active voice).
- Substantive editing to enhance copy, appeal to target audiences, and motivate action. This includes translating technical content into benefits-oriented marketing copy.
- Noting any design/layout issues with page numbers, headlines/subhead hierarchy, spacing, kerning, leading, margins, etc.
- Editing and writing proposals, case studies, creative briefs, project schedules, etc.
- Writing and maintaining Editorial Style Guides for clients and ensuring that copy adheres to these guides.
- Contributing to creative brainstorming sessions with fresh, unique ways to achieve clients’ objectives and support their missions by marrying copy and design.
- Researching and drafting engaging content for our website, blog, and social media channels.
- At least 4–8 years of professional experience editing or proofreading.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or a similar subject.
- Mastery of the written word. Must have a sharp eye for detail, including impeccable spelling and grammar, as well as the ability to quickly identify and correct inconsistent usage.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented, attentive, and organized; you must be able to multi-task and efficiently prioritize projects.
- Strong work ethic and drive. We’re looking for a proactive self-starter who is driven to move projects forward and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, client-centric environment.
- Must work well individually and as part of a team, including being able to receive creative direction and feedback.
- A flexible personality, strong problem-solving skills, and the ability to learn quickly.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, at a minimum.
Applicants should be prepared for a short proofreading exercise.
- Copywriting experience.
- Experience working in an agency or marketing department.
- Proposal writing experience.
- Working knowledge of editorial style guides such as AP and Chicago.
- Knowledge of and/or interest in social media marketing best practices and trends.
- Loves dogs (kidding…well, kind of).
This is a full-time, salaried position. Novak Birch offers a generous benefits package to its employees, including health insurance coverage, paid holidays, paid vacation/sick days, profit sharing, and 401K.
Are you a grammar guru with a passion for marketing? Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected]. If you have a copywriting portfolio, please include a link or PDF. Please use the email subject line “Copy Editor” followed by your name. No calls, please.